Following the Open Discussion held during early April on "Life without plastic bags" in Alonissos, with the participation of residents of Alonissos, representatives of competent bodies of the island, representatives of the project’s implementing partners (The Mediterranean SOS Network and Mom / Hellenic Society for the Study and Protection of the Mediterranean Monk Seal) as well as representatives of the funding body Thalassa Foundation, the Municipality of Alonissos issued, on April 28th, 2016 the following announcement:
A. We hereby form a five-member Coordinating Committee which will undertake the implementation of the following actions as well as the search of new ideas derived by local community. More specifically:
- Realisation of research and selection of best practices regarding more practical alternatives to plastic bags that will meet the different needs of end users (residents -shopkeepers – visitors)
- Reinforcement of Awareness and Dissemination of information of permanent residents and visitors,
- Proper implementation of the "Plastic Bag Free Alonissos" Project during the summer of 2016.
B. We appoint the following as Members of said Coordinating Committee:
- The Mayor of Alonissos Mr. Petros Vafinis, and as substitue, the Vice-Mayor of Alonnisos, Mr. Argyriou Angelos,
- The Chairman of the BoD Mr. Tsoukanas Panayotis, and as substitue, Municipal Counselor Ms. Kyriazi Magdalene, Municipal Member
- The President of the Association of Rental Rooms and Apartments of Alonissos, Mr. Anagnostou Evangelos, and as substitue, the Vice-President of the above-mentioned Association, Ms. Theodorou Chariklia,
- The Representative of the Management Body of the National Marine Park of Alonissos and Northern Sporades, Mr. Iosifides Spiridon, and as substitue, the clerk of the Forestry Department or said Management Body, Mr. Mouratides Theodoros.
- The Entrepreneur, Ms. Agallou Ekaterini, and as substitue, the entrepreneur, Ms. Pappou Evmorfia.
In this committee, representatives of the Municpality of Alonissos will play a coordinating role while the “Plastic Bag Free Alonissos” Project’s implementing parties (The Mediterranean SOS Network and MOm / Hellenic Society for the Study and Protection of the Mediterranean Monk Seal) will play an advisory role due to their specialisation in the field of marine litter and environmental protection.